Car Kits, or Vehicle Kits are preparedness kits you keep in your vehicle. There should be items and tools to repair your vehicle if needed, and other considerations based on threats in your area. For instance, if it is a possibility you may become stranded in your car from severe winter weather, you may need to keep a blanket, water, and food in your car kit. Sometimes these kits are combined with a Get Home Bag, but kit duplication is never a bad idea.
The Basic Car Kit
Our basic car kit checklist to keep you on the road.
- Road Assistance Tool Kit - While cheap, this kit is comprehensive. Upgrade the components as soon as possible.
- Small 100 Piece First Aid Kit
- LifeHammer Emergency Escape Tool - Keep in your car where you can reach in an emergency
- Mylar Blanket
- Water and Non-Perishable Food
- Hydraulic Jack and Fully Inflated Spare
- Tow Strap
- Construction Duty Trash Bag
- Lighter and/or Firesteel
- Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Knife
- Siphon - Transfer fuel or water (but not both!)
- Gas Can
- Military Folding Trench Shovel
- Cell Phone Charger
- Power Inverter
- Automotive Fire Extinguisher
- Portable Air Compressor
Severe Winter Weather Module
Being trapped in a car during a severe winter storm can become a deadly situation quickly. Here are several items that can improve your survival chances if you live in an area prone to severe winter weather: